Thu, 12 Mar|
The Haslemere Hub
Maths Explained: Haslemere Key Stage 1 (5 to 7 years)
Join our fun and interactive workshop led by 2 mums and former deputy headteachers to master how addition, subtraction, multiplication and division are taught at school so that you can help at home!
Time & Location
12 Mar 2020, 19:30 – 21:00
The Haslemere Hub, St Christopher's Rd, Haslemere GU27 1DQ, UK
About the Event
The way in which our children are taught maths has changed dramatically since we were at school. The calculations methods used for addition, subtraction, multiplication and division have changed and emphasis is now placed on children understanding key mathematical facts and recalling these efficiently. As well as them being able to explain and justify their answers.
Come and join us in The Station House Bar and Restaurant for a relaxed evening packed to the brim with ideas, explanations and time for any questions you may have. Grab a drink at the bar and let us guide you through your child's mathematical journey!
- Do you often feel you do not understand how your child is being taught maths?
- Would you like to know how addition, subtraction, multiplication and division are now taught in schools so you can best support your child at home?
- Are you looking for ideas to support your child if they are struggling with their maths?
- Would you like to talk to experienced teachers about any questions or concerns you may have?
We are two former deputy head teachers who have worked in ‘outstanding’ rated schools. Being parents of little ones ourselves, we can guarantee all our methods are tried and tested!
You will come away knowing:
- Exactly how maths in taught in year 1 and year 2 in schools.
- How each of the fours operations: addition, subtraction, multiplication and division are taught in years 1 and 2, the different methods that are used and the order in which they are taught to your child.
- How to explain these methods to your child.
- Fun and practical games that you can play with your child to improve their mental mathematical knowledge.
- Time with experienced teachers to answer any questions
- You will have an emailed resource pack including: practical resources to use with your child - 100 square, number line to 50, multiplication square, a list of recommended websites that are tried and tested, an outline of year 1 and year 2 maths expectations, a visual guide to how each mathematical operation is taught to your child and much more!
We're really look forward to seeing you there,
Nicky and Ellie
P.s. Parking is available on site
Key Stage 1 Maths Explained