Thu, 05 Mar|
The Haslemere Hub
NEW : Haslemere, Phonics and Reading
All you need to know to support your child on their Phonics and Reading journey.
Time & Location
05 Mar 2020, 19:30 – 21:00
The Haslemere Hub, St Christopher's Rd, Haslemere GU27 1DQ, UK
About the Event
Thanks for taking the time to find out more about our Phonics and Reading Workshop.
You will listen to your child read more than their class teacher ever will, so let’s make you the expert.
A teacher is doing well if they manage to listen to your child read once a week. It is recommended that we listen to our children read every day (but more realistically perhaps 4 times a week). This is 4 times more than their class teacher will do. Therefore it is imperative that we understand how to best support our children with their reading and phonics journey.
Let us guide you through key terminology, techniques and fun activities to arm you with all you will need to make your child’s start on this journey a success!
- Would you like to master how phonics is taught so you can best support your little one?
- Are you looking for ideas on how to help your child when they are struggling to read?
- Would you like to be able to explain to your child, how to sound out words phonetically?
- Do you have trouble getting your child to read at home?
- Would you like to chat to experienced teachers about any questions or concerns you may have?
We are two former deputy head teachers who have worked in Ofsted “outstanding” rated schools. Being parents of little ones ourselves,we can guarantee all our methods are tried and tested!
You will come away knowing:
- Exactly how phonics is taught in schools.
- How to get even the most reluctant reader to enjoy reading!
- Time with experienced teachers to answer any questions you have.
- How to help your child phonetically decode words.
- What to do when a word can't be decoded phonetically.
- You will also have emailed a resource pack of activities and information to use with your child at home, including: key word flash cards,a list of recommended websites that are tried and tested, phonics phase mats, questioning techniques to check your child's understanding of what they have read and much more!
Praise for our workshops:
"An absolute must for any parent facing the daunting task of helping to teach their child to read." Victoria
"Every parent can benefit from your insight. I found the evening most informative, engaging and well pitched. You answered many questions and equipped me with activities and resources ." Principal of Weyhill Montessori School, Haslemere (Ofsted Outstanding Provider 2016/2017)
"I came out feeling armed with ideas of how to make the process fun... I would thoroughly recommend."Emily
The workshops are in the evening, and we know you'll have had a long day, which is why drinks and nibbles will be at the ready!
We really look forward to seeing you there.
Nicky and Ellie
Parking is available on site