Updated: May 2, 2019
A quick, simple and active game to get your little ones adding 1 digit numbers and it is very easy to make more or less challenging.
You will need:
The numbers 1 to 5 written on paper and cut out
A piece of paper
1) Lay the number cards 1 to 5 face down on the table.
2) Ask your little one to choose 1 card and turn it over.
3) Ask your them to write this number down on their piece of paper.
4) Then ask your little one to write a + sign next to this number.
5) Roll the dice and ask your child to say the number on the dice.
6) Write the number down next to the + sign. E.g If I had chosen the 3 number card and rolled a 4 I should have written down 3 + 4.
7) Then ask your child to write an = sign (e.g. You should now have 3+4 =).
8) Ask your child to put the biggest number in their head (in this case 4) and then count on on their fingers.
For example if I have 4 in my head and count on 3 on my fingers I say “5,6,7” So the answer is 7
9) Ask your child to write their answer down (e.g. 3 + 4= 7).
10) Repeat by choosing another digit card and rolling the dice again!
Making it easier:
Write the sum out for your child and use or draw a number line like this: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Bunny-Hop-Game-for-Everyday-Math-137775 to help them count on.
A little tip: Make sure you encourage your little one to count the number of jumps, if they are using a number line.
Making it more challenging:
Write digit cards up to 20 so your child is adding to 26.